The KERRICK Sports Sedan Series is arguably the most dynamic and exciting motor racing category in the country.
The noise and the serious horsepower from the mid mounted engines of these ‘winged and wild’ racers is awe inspiring. Built and raced by a dedicated group of devotees chasing the ultimate in power to weight performance, they share a unique place in Australian motor racing heritage.
Sports Sedans are the most modified full bodied cars in Australian motor sport. Typically they commence build using a steel tube ‘space frame’ chassis before adding mechanical components and composite body panels – which can resemble the family sedan or transform a sports saloon into something more exotic with the addition of wheel arch flares to accommodate the wide slick rubber, plus front spoilers and a large rear wing to generate downforce.
The most successful cars in recent years have sourced power from 700+ horsepower 6000cc V8 engines and transmit that power through a 5 or 6 speed transaxle rear end. The result is the fastest cars with a roof, and in many instances these cars are knocking on the door of recording fastest outright track laps at circuits nationwide.
Alternatively a number of competitors have purchased or built American-style Trans-am race cars that are eligible under the present rules and able to compete competitively with the Aussie-built sports sedans.
The Series is subject to strict technical requirements, and has been approved as an official CAMS-sanctioned National Series. CAMS appointed stewards; a technical commissioner and full national level medical resources are present at each event.
Four important points underpin the category;
• In relative terms, minimisation of the cost of running and maintaining the cars.
• Providing a ‘place to race’ in a relaxed but safe and well managed environment.
• Maintaining a close working relationship with the Shannons Nationals, CAMS, Kerrick and Dunlop.
• Maintaining a controlled category with pro-active technical compliance.
Sports Sedans Pty Ltd is the Category Manager and provides the following:
• Organises and promotes the Series in conjunction with the Shannons Australian Motor Racing Nationals and circuit operators.
• Sponsorship and media coverage for the Series.
• A sound financial base for the Series.
• Competent administrative services to competitors.
• Compliance with all CAMS requirements.
• Ensures that the Technical and Sporting Regulations are strictly adhered to.